Sore Losers, And The Art of Quick Handshakes

I haven't posted in a long time. I've been bombarded with homework, so I haven't really had much time. I'm TOOOOOOO ready for Thanksgiving. But today's topic is about sore losers and why they do not show their opponents any respect after a well deserved win.

So, I was watching the Patriots-Colts game earlier. And when you're an avid sports watcher like I am, you notice little details that you may not see on highlights of the game. After Peyton Manning threw the game winning touchdown pass with :13 seconds left on the clock, Tom "the Great White Hope" Brady had one chance at glory; which resulted in a completed pass and failed lateral attempt and tackle. The final score was 35-34 Colts, but that is not the focus. The focus is Bill Belichick and the half-a** handshake he gave the Black head coach, Jim Caldwell congratulating him on the win.

Belichick called a questionable play on their own 28 yard line, going for it on 4th and 2. The Patriots did not convert, and the Colts took over on downs and Manning threw a TD pass to Reggie Wayne. Belichick gave his headset to one of his assistants and threw his hands on his face. As soon as the game ended, he ran to the 50 yard line, met Jim Caldwell, shook.... excuse me, "low-fived" his hand with NO EYE CONTACT, and trotted off the field. This isn't the first time either. He's done that to other head coaches he's lost to. Norv Turner, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin. He's also done that to all of his assistants-turned-head coaches that have defeated him. Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel have been subjected to that. It will only be a matter of time before the Broncos head coach, Josh McDaniels, will get this kind of treatment. I guess winning makes a person arrogant beyond belief. That's crazy to me.

Belichick isn't the only one though. Lebron James can be convicted of this too. As a matter of fact, he didn't even shake his opponents hand, he sat on the floor and then walked off the court in disgust after he lost. I'm talking about the Cavs-Magic game, where Dwight Howard, his Olympic teammate, beat the "Cleveland Lebrons," en route to the NBA Finals. James also refused a press conference from the media after the game. Why wouldn't he show his friend and Olympic gold medal teammate love for defeating him and wishing him luck against the now-champions Los Angeles Lakers?

Not shaking a person's hand to acknowlege defeat is not only disrespectful, but its inconsiderate, rude, and it shows a lack of character. At least have the decency to say "great game" or "job well done." When winning goes to a person's head, it clouds their mind and blinds the virtues of kindness and respect. But that still is NEVER an excuse.

Well, that's all I have to say about this. I've decided to post weekly on this blog. I've also reached out to my Freshman class president, Isaiah Stewart, about blogging. We're thinking about starting a blog together. More details on that at a later date. I'm about to watch the inside of my eyelids, seeing as Mondays are always the longest for me (UGH, UNIVERSITY 101!!!) But, hey we'll see how that goes. Feel free to comment. Remember "You can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens you!" (Phil 4:13) Shout out to my family and friends. (WE GOT 1 WEEK!!) I'll Holla @ Ya'll ... PEACE

Posted by [ CharismaticKRM ] | at 2:11 AM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyr:
Your observations are so diverse, and seem to reflect the gamut of what is impacting you at this juncture in life. I like how you recognized the similiar behaviors of the two "ethnically" diverse beings...just another illustration that arrogance and ignorance is color-blind. Keep up the great commentaries..."I'm digging 'em like an old soul record" Luv U

Anonymous said...

I thought you articulated that well. The handshakes go even further my son; Poor handshaking is diversified. It transends ethnic and racial boundaries. It cross all educational experiences. "Keep on livin".

Luv you forever an a day. Dad.

Ran Walker said...

Good entry. I agree with you 100% on the notion of handshakes. Being that handshakes are considered a sign of respect in our American sports culture, to blatantly ignore someone would be a deliberate act and therefore disrespectful--definitely not the behavior we would expect from the NBA league MVP. It's refreshing to see someone young call him on it, too. Many of us who have been around a little longer were wondering if such disrespect might suddenly be viewed as "cool."

Keep up the great work.

Prof. Walker

Post a Comment